Thursday, May 13, 2010

Blah, blah, blah

Isak has done some extremely cute things lately. He doesn't always intend to be funny, and when he does intend to be funny it always seems to come when I am least expecting it. For example...

Isak thinks that the percentages on food packaging are very important. He believes that if something says 100% that it is good for you. It could say "100% carcinogenic" and he would say, "Hey mom! We should get this. It's 100%!"

Today we were shopping at Wal Mart and he picked up a movie-size box of Whoppers and asked if he could have them. I told them that he could carry them and, if he made good choices while we were at the store, I would buy them. As he carried them, he inspected the packaging and was surprised to find that it said, "25%". He said, "Mom, this says it's 25%, which means that it's a little healthy, right? But it's chocolate, and chocolate isn't healthy."

I looked at the box and saw that it read, "25% less fat", so I explained to him that in this case the percentage didn't indicate that the food was healthy, just that it was less unhealthy than other kinds of candy. When I was done with my explanation, I said, "Does that make sense?" Isak looked at me with a straight face and said, "No, not really. You were talking but all I heard was 'blah, blah, blah'".

I, of course, laughed.

1 comment:

The Wyler Family said...

so funny. i can't believe he's old enough to have these kinds of conversations. where does the time go?