Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Good Laugh

I laughed harder today than I have in a long time and thought I would share my new-found side-splitting infomation.

From time to time, when I need to give my weight loss efforts a boost, I count calories using the Livestrong app on my phone. Today while I was having lunch with some of my family I was entering the food I had eaten and some exercise I had done this morning into the program. I typed in "walking" and was amazed, and humored, by the myriad of walking options that were listed. Here is an abbreviated list of what I found:

Walking (briskly) - 11.9 calories per minute

Walking, pushing a stroller - 8.9 calories per minute

Walking, with the dog - 8.9 calories per minute


Okay, so up to this point they seem reasonable enough, maybe with just a little more detail than is necessary. And then there is...

Operate snow blower: walking - 12.4 calories per minute

Yard: applying seed or fertilizer - 7.0 calories per minute

Yard: watering by hand, standing/walking - 4.3 calories per minute

Child Care: walking with children - 5.1 calories per minute


Okay, really?! This is stretching it a bit, but it gets better!

Baton twirling: walking - 8.2 calories per minute

Church: walking in church - 4.1 calories per minute

Walking: for social reasons - 5.1 calories per minute

Walking: on grass - 10.2 calories per minute

Walking: inside at work gathering things - 6.1 calories per minute


And my personal favorites...

Farming: chasing livestock, walking - 7.1 calories per minute

Fishing: from river bank, walking - 8.2 calories per minute

Walking: to and from outhouse - 5.1 calories per minute
(which we decided had to be an average, because certainly you would burn more calories on your way to the outhouse than returning from the outhouse)

I never imagined that reading the exercise entries on my calorie counter app could be so entertaining. It made me wonder how many calories I burned laughing - there wasn't an entry for that.

1 comment:

Angela said...

LOL!! That's wonderful! Who comes up with this stuff?? Thanks for the laugh!!