Monday, November 11, 2013

The Road to Alaska

It's been about 3 months since we left the Midwest and headed to Alaska.  Now that we are mostly settled and have adapted to our new home, new job, new school - new LIFE - I think I can finally get around to blogging about some of our experiences.

Our adventure began on August 5.  We departed Indianapolis with heavy hearts and a heavy van.

 
 
The first leg of our trip wasn't a long one.  We had been promising the kids a trip to Chicago for a couple years, and it is one of Jeremy's and my favorite places to visit.  We didn't have a lot of time there - just about 24 hours - but we crammed in as much sight seeing as we could.  We went to Medieval Times, Navy Pier, Millennium Park and the double decker McDonalds. 
 



 
 
While we were at Navy Pier, we got caught in a pretty heavy rainstorm and took shelter at the USO.  This was a new experience for me.  I'd heard of the USO, particularly in WWII stories that I've read, but I didn't really know much about it.  I half expected to walk into a black and white world of women in 40's-style dresses dancing with sailors.  What I found was a quiet, comfortable room where we could have a drink and a snack while we waited for the storm to pass.  It was a welcome perk of being in the military!
 
We enjoyed our short visit in the windy city.  Next stop...Minneapolis!  
 

No comments: