Sunday, April 27, 2008

American Girls

Twice a year we take a trip to Chicago with our friends, Mark and Kami Starnes. We love these trips! We go every spring and every fall. It has become a tradition that we won't easily break.

This year for our spring trip we decided to take all of our kids with us and take the girls to the American Girl Place. It was amazing! First we went to the little stage production that they do. In the show they introduce the "American Girls" through music and dance. I loved the show because it promoted values that are important to me and that I hope someday will be important to my little girl. I actually cried! I sat there thinking, "Am I the only dork crying?" Of course, I can always count on Kami to get weepy with me. Thanks, Kami!

Of course we did some shopping and Becca picked out a ballerina dress for herself and her Bitty Baby. I had a hard time getting her to settle on what she wanted. She walked into the Bitty Baby section and just started grabbing boxes. I said, "Now Becca, you are going to have to choose just one thing, so why don't you just look at everything there is and then make a decision." With each item we looked at she announced, " I want that!" She even wanted the things that she already has! She was just completely overwhelmed! So much like her mother.
For lunch we had made reservations at the American Girl Cafe. No detail was overlooked in the decorating, service, menu, etc. We felt very special.
Every few minutes Becca would reach over and offer her doll a bite or a drink. I was so darned cute!
We really weren't celebrating a birthday, but we wanted this day to be extra special, so we just pretended. We ordered the birthday package for both girls. It was only a few dollars more and we got a birthday cake and gifts. Very fun! In our defense, Makara's birthday was only a couple of weeks away, so we justified it.
It was such a great day! I loved getting to do this with Becca. Adding to my list of things that I would do if I were rich, I would give as many little girls as possible the opportunity to spend a day at American Girl Place with their moms.
While we were at American Girl, the boys all went to Shedd Aquarium. We met back up in Schaumburg to go to IKEA (of course!) and then we headed home.
After spending a weekend with almost-nine-year-old Makara, Becca is now 5 going on 12. Makara is so good to her. Aren't friends great!

3 comments:

The Wyler Family said...

sounds like you guys had a great weekend. when we were in chicago, we walked by the american girl store and i really wanted to go in and check it out but david wasn't too thrilled about that idea. i need to have a little girl someday.

Nicole said...

I was in Chicago a while back to see My Fair Lady with some friends and we went into that store to get a doll for one of my friend's daughters. It was amazing, I couldn't believe all the detail they put into one store for dolls. Someday when I have a girl we are definatley going there together!!
I'm glad you had a nice time.

Cynthia said...

That's awsome, we are planning to go to the one in Dallas in June and Samantha is so excited! Olivia will finaly be joining the American girl family by getting her first bitty twin while we are there. Maybe we could go sometime?